Information for Jobcentres
How we can help
Workwise travel support gives jobseekers a helping hand with travel costs, offering 50% off bus, train and Metro travel passes for up to 3 months.
This offer is available to jobseekers who live in or are registered with a JobCentre in the West Midlands to overcome travel barriers.
Our team works closely with Jobcentres across the West Midlands ensuring that they are able to provide the very best information and support for their users. Use this page to familiarise yourself with the offer and processes. If you do have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact the team.
You can advise jobseekers to expand their employment opportunities by looking further afield. Using our online travel information and journey planning apps, applicants can easily plan routes to potential employers and keep track of any delays on the go.
Workwise travel support provides a 50% off Network West Midlands' travel passes for the first 3 months of a new job. All applicants now apply online for this ticket.
Based on the applicants' needs, our team will recommend a suitable travel pass which will be valid within the Network West Midlands Area.
If they need to travel outside the area, they will need to contact us for more information.
The Customer must:
- Live in a West Midlands Local Authority area: Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton. This is the eligible area.
- you meet the above condition if you are registered with a Jobcentre Plus office within the West Midlands area as above
- Be unemployed or working less than 16 per week prior to applying for workwise travel support
- Have not received workwise travel support for new employment between 1st April and 31st March in the current year.
- Be aged 16 to 65
- Provide a valid National Insurance Number
- Be working a total minimum of 16 hours per week
- Ensure they apply before or within 5 working days of starting new employment or apprenticeship
- Provide a recent passport style photograph
- Must not be on the Department for Work and Pensions Work Programme, Work Choice or Youth Promise Plus
We’re sorry but workwise travel support can’t help:
- If you’re being helped by another programme that provides travel support (e.g. Jobcentre Plus referral to the Work Programme, Work Choice or GBS Youth Employment Initiative)
- With travel costs for attending training programmes
You won’t be able to receive workwise travel support if you don’t abide by our terms and conditions
Applicants can apply themselves using our online application service but may require your help with sourcing the relevant documentation.
Our team will review the application and send out a travel pass that matches the applicant's personalised journey plan within five working days.
To speed up the application process, applicants will need the following documents.
- Proof of unemployment
- Your National Insurance (NI) number
- Confirmation of your job offer. This could be in the form of a letter or email
- An image in a passport style for use on the pass
You can help spread the word of workwise travel support by promoting the scheme on your social channels, to your email database and with your internal teams.
For wording, posters and images please visit our Asset Bank.
Travelling or looking for work beyond your usual area of travel can be a little daunting. However by using our Travel Information Package individuals can learn to navigate their way through maps, timetables and ticketing costs to expand their travel horizons and make them more accessible for employment.
The package is designed to be used as part of a training programme or curriculum. It includes discrete learning modules with questions and answers prepared to Level 1 of the Adult Literacy, Numeracy and ICT Core Curriculum. The package also has an additional section to assist with personal budgeting, so trainers can include them in training materials, if required.
Travel Resource Package
Travel Resource Manual
(how to use the online journey planner)
Travel Resource Workbook
(questions and answers)
If you would like some more information about how the scheme can help you, or need to apply directly, contact us on the following: